New fin rot growth

I'm so happy to see new growth on Grim's tail.  It's been a few days with the daily water changes, salt, and JFC tabs, and I'm encouraged to see that it's working.


Fin rot can absolutely be deadly, and this is the most advanced case I've ever seen in person.  With his other health issues, it's entirely plausible that this could've killed him.

He's still not out of the woods, though.  The hell that his poor little body has endured for so long weakened his immune system, weakened his ability to fight off bacteria and infections like fin rot.  The smallest lapse in vigilance can bring it back.  It's not always easy to treat when it's at this stage.

Especially since he's in such a small tank.  Smaller tanks build up ammonia faster, are harder to keep clean, and just make it more difficult all the way around.  As soon as I scrape the money together, I'm getting him a 5 gallon and maybe using this one as a backup or emergency or hospital tank.

Or I've got Illuyanka in a 2.5 gallon now.  I might just get a 10 gallon instead, divide it for Grim and Illy, and use the 2.5 as my hospital tank.

The problem is that a 10 gallon really needs a tank stand, where a 5 gallon can usually sit on a desk or the top of a bookshelf.  And I paid $50 for the tank stand I have Neph and Osiris on.

Adding the stand, plus the tank, makes it way more expensive, and until I can get myself stabilized financially once again, I just can't do that.  It would be more beneficial in the long run, but going that route requires that Grim stay in the 1.5 even longer.

So we'll see how things go.  For now, I'm staying vigilant, and it feels good to see improvement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Betta care 101: Introduction

The twins

Betta Care 101: Part One