Illuyanka's weird red spot

So I rescued Illy about 7-ish months ago, from a woman who bought him at a pet store on an impulse, then decided a week later that he was too much work.

And ever since I got him, he's had this weird red thing sticking out from inside his right gill.  It's not his coloring, it's very clearly something inside him.  And it pulses and throbs with his breathing and heart rate.

The woman said he had it when she bought him at the store.  Given the short time she had him, I'm inclined to believe her.

It doesn't seem to cause him pain, and it doesn't interfere with his life in any way, so I just keep an eye on it and leave it alone.  I'm assuming it's just a deformation of his gill.

No one, no betta expert or breeder I've spoken to, knows what it is.  So I figure it's just a part of him, something that gives him character.



Here, so you can see what it looks like.  It's weird, right?  Looks totally odd.

But again, it doesn't seem to bother him, and he's a healthy, happy boy, so I just leave it alone and monitor it, just in case it becomes something I need to address.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Betta care 101: Introduction

The twins

Betta Care 101: Part One